[Bards] Ravensfort Bardic Title Competition at the Day at the Pas du Arms

Elaine Scadian elainetryitagain at yahoo.com
Fri Feb 14 09:50:20 PST 2003

Come one, come all and compete for the honored title of the Ravenskald of the Barony of Raven's Fort!

Who:  EVERYONE, beginners, oldtimers, former titled bards, first eventers, even those who are so old they remember when Baron Sir Kiefie was a wide-eyed newbie or remember how St. David got his name . . .

What:  A bardic competition to choose the new Raven Skald of Raven's Fort.

When:   Saturday Evening, February 22, 2003, after feast/court

Where:  The Day at the Pas du Arms, in Raven's Fort, in or near the feasting pavilion

Why:  Why?!?!  You have to ask?!?!  IT'S FUN!!!!!!!!!!!!  Besides, who wouldn't want the honor of being the title bard of the best barony in the kingdom?  (Okay I'm biased)  Oh yeah, and there's lots of LOOT to be had as well!

How:  Come to the event.  There will be a bardic circle after court.  Perform in the bardic circle and make the judges (Elaine de Lyons and others, unnamed, heh, heh, heh) aware that you wish to be judged in the competition.  We invite all to perform in the bardic circle, whether or not they wish to be considered for the honor of being Raven Skald.  Largess will be given out by myself and any others who wish to honor the performers in this manner.  I have a special prize for any newcomers who perform (newcomers to the SCA and newcomers to bardic).

The only REQUIREMENT to enter the competition is that you perform in the bardic circle and indicate your intent to compete and not just to perform for fun.

I would PREFER that the competitors try to perform in more than one bardic style and that at least one piece touches on the theme of the event (Pas du Arms - high tournament chivalry stuff), speaks of "skalds" in some manner, or is something is period and that you have *written documentation* for.

Prizes include: various jewelry, silk noil, silk habotai, pouches, trim, and a quill/ink set, books of music, storybooks.

Pass Down Prizes:  a harp (if/when we can get it fixed - alas, not in time for the event), a banner, a cloak, a bardbook, a pouch filled with largess to pass on and with which to encourage other performers.

Thanks, and see ya there!!

Elaine de Lyons