[Bards] Writing Poetry (Long)

Brian & Pam Martin twinoak at cox-internet.com
Thu May 29 18:39:13 PDT 2003

Interesting topic!

I've found that first I have to be inspired by something or someone before I
can write a poem about it/them. I've tried to just sit down and write poetry
for the sake of it but I just can't. Well, I can write drivel if I'm
uninspired, but who wants to read it? Not I, that's for sure.

Secondly, once I'm inspired by something, I have to find the right poetic
form. I wanted to write a war poem about Aaron and Britta at Gulf War and
tried for weeks to make it work in Iambic Pentameter because that form fits
my 14th century persona. The problem is that this bloody war poem just
didn't sound right in Iambic. I finally gave up on that and tied the same
topic in Fornyslag (sic)- a Norse poetic form - and the poem just rolled out
of my brain in no time. There's just something about that trochaic beat and
the kenning and all of the other fun elements of Norse poetry that fit the
theme of war so well!

Anyway, I'm happy to say that I'm a convert who used to say that he couldn't
write poetry and who know really enjoys the challenge of writing in verse
(thanks, Mari!). Writing comes and goes (I have a fickle muse), but when I'm
in the mood it's a great deal of fun.

Pendaran