[Bards] The Questing Beast

Kathy Elliott bardkat at sbcglobal.net
Mon Jan 10 01:14:28 PST 2005

I received a number of requests for a copy of the poem I performed in the
first round of Eisteddfod, so here you are.

Enjoy!
Kat

*****************************

The Questing Beast
by Ruaidhri Blackfeather, of the East Kingdom

The Questing Beast leads a merry chase throughout the land
Through forests dark, in waters deep, o'er blazing desert sand
But kill it not, for that's no challenge - higher you must strive
What you must do is master it, and bring it back alive.

There was a boy who heard these words, and fancied himself a man
And he sought out these Questing Knights now known throughout the land
To one and all he'd state his cause in voicing strong and loud:
That he would join the Questing Knights, and do the brethren proud.

To join the brethren was his wish - in truth, deepest desire
He traveled far to find them, to quench his heart's burning fire.
When at their gate he stood, he stated boldly his request
Said they, "If you're to join us, you must prove yourself by test."

The boy replied with gleaming eyes and puffing out of chest,
"Each challenge e'er laid down for me I've proven I'm the best,
And pass this, too, I will, if you'll but name the beast I seek."
"You must pass a night in prayer to know, for each man's is unique."

So he passed that long vigil night in a smoky, incensed room,
And past his eyes great varied creatures danced throughout the gloom
But when morning came, he could not name the beast he was to find.
They replied, "You'll know it when you've got its will entwined."

'Twas bare a month had gone by when the lad returned;
A dragon he brought with him to claim the right he'd earned.
With stone-faced, shaking heads they showed he would not let in.
The dragon not the beast he'd named, they sent him out again.

The years went by, his beasts refused, the lad came of age
Presenting birds, beasts and fish - even one old bitter mage.
But for each and all his offerings, their answer was the same,
"This beast which you have brought back - it is not the one you named."

His face was flushed with anger, and his reddish eyes did warn
With crackling words, in thunderous voice did he unleash this storm:
"You dare deny me entry?  Proven master I've prevailed!
You won't accept me, yet you will not name where I have failed!"

One knight held up a silver plate, with a surface shining clear.
The boy knew realization as he looked into this mirror.
In shame, and in sorrow, he took his leaving from their side,
For the Beast he'd never mastered was his own wretched pride.