[Bards] What was the best bardic circle you ever attended and why?

Pádraig Ruad Ó Maolagáin padraig_ruad at irishbard.org
Wed Nov 8 07:25:21 PST 2006

There are two that come to mind, and they both might seem odd choices.

The first was an informal circle at a gathering after the funeral of a
dear friend and household brother.  We sang songs of passing and
rememberance, but soon turned to the songs that our brother had loved so
well during his all too short time with us, as well as tales of the times
we had shared with him.  It helped us turn a time of profound sadness to a
happier, though still melancoly, celebration of his life.

The second was the first competition for the Titled Bard of Loch Ruadh.
There were over twenty-five bards in the competition, with a few others
not competing but adding their voices to the joyful chorus.  I had the
honor (and dilemma) of being one of the judges, and I have never had a
more difficult decision to make, as I have never heard a more wonderful
assortment of song, story and poem than that night.  Even though I was
judging, the performances carried me away to that magic place where the
game we play becomes reality for a little while.

Padraig
--
Nunc est bibendum.