[Bards] What is a College ( of Bards)

John H Taylor delaufyson at juno.com
Wed Oct 25 11:21:46 PDT 2006

What I think what  some of you are missing  is  a "College of Bards" is
Like  a "College of Heralds". It is a fellowship not  a university. By
having this conversation we are proving at the Ansteorra College of Bards
is alive and well. In our fellowship it is good to have some order. It is
good for us to organize learning experiences and to create performing
venues. When we Creates The Queen's Bards our purpose was to give a
little bit of order to our Chaos. We had individuals who had the role to
promote learning and performing situations, We created educational
information like papers and newsletters. We encouraged the gathering of
Bards and the sharing of information. We set guidelines to assist bards
in growing, but the rankings didn't turn out too well. To hard to get
right. To many hurt feelings.  The guidelines were useful because It gave
individuals goals. Our Guile lines were actually harder than the
Laurel's. I think that was so because we were talking about what skills
an individual really needed to be a functioning bard in the Ancient
Historical style not an SCA scholar. Our personal goals were to function
as bards in our Kingdom and we gathered in fellowship to achieve our
goals. I could see us recreating the Queen's Bards but not as an
University but as our fellowship.
Willow de Wisp