[Bards] Year-Long Challenge for all Ansteorran Bards

Jay Rudin rudin at peoplepc.com
Fri Jan 9 14:34:33 PST 2015

>1650? I didn't know that we had an additional 50 years, as last I knew we
>were stopped at 1600. That extra 50 years opens the door to a lot of song,
>especially for the solo voice instead of small vocal ensembles. (And it also
>adds another song to the list I can perform, as its lyrics were first
>outlined in a play around 1611)

Actually, the SCA period is "pre-seventeenth century". The College of Heralds allows name and heraldic elements documented to 1650, because things existed before they were first written about, but the actual cut-off date is the start of the seventeenth century (which means anything that existed by March 24, 1601).

But it's not a hard-and-fast rule, or filk of modern songs wouldn't exist at all. A 16th century piece is better than a 17th century piece, but we won't run anyone out on a rail for singing a piece from 1611.

Robin of Gilwell / Jay Rudin