[Bards] Just looking for some feed back

Jay Rudin rudin at peoplepc.com
Wed Mar 1 14:47:10 PST 2017

First: the warning: Performing in two languages gives people time to lose the thread. This is not a beginning performance. You're trying to show your knowledge, but recognize that you are deliberately attempting a hard job - holding the audience when they can't know what you're saying.

The two times that I have performed in two languages (translations of a Petrarchan sonnet and a speech from the Iliad), I separated it in reasonable chunks of thought, so that the English would make sense. If a single sentence is four lines, then perform those four lines together. So I would probably do this:

Eala, bearnas mancynnes, æðelu and gesiþas!
LO, bairns of mankinds, nobility and companions!

Fram fægere land, feor and neah,
cumaþ hildáca in hæleþa-gamenum tógædere,
wuldor mid benc-winum to winnanne.

>From fair lands, far and near,
come battle-oaks in warrior-games together,
Glories with bench-friends to win.

Ac ne land nis tó heofonum neara
swa cynehám ure mid steorran blæcum.

But no land is to the heavens nearer
as our royal-home with a star black.

Also, I'm astounded you didn't say "one star", just to use "an steorra[n]".

Robin of Gilwell / Jay Rudin