[Bg-dance] Our own dance booklet

Charlene Charette charlene281 at gmail.com
Thu Mar 31 10:19:59 PDT 2011

On Thu, Mar 31, 2011 at 11:19 AM, Susan Scott <gwenneth40 at gmail.com> wrote:

> It would be interesting to have commentary.  For example, the right-hand
> star in Whirligig.  Was that decision made because it seemed to go more
> smoothly?  Because that was someone's original interpretation?

Such information could be useful and interesting, but you might want a
slimmed down version that's more of an aide memoire, too.

There are probably some variations we do for good reasons; others just
> because that's how we learned it.  If others do it differently, should we
> switch to be more consistent?  Or is our way actually better?

We'll never get everyone to agree to the same variation. Equally-qualified
reconstructors can come up with different interpretations of the original;
some people don't care if it's a "good" reconstruction as long as it's "fun"
(as if the two were mutually exclusive), etc. Some dancers adapt more easily
than others to different variations. When I teach, I try to remember to note
local differences so people aren't too surprised when they travel.

It's good for reconstructors to be willing to re-examine their work based on
new evidence. I'm always willing to change my mind if someone makes a good
case for why their interpretation is better. "Better" can have various
meanings (closer to the original, easier to perform, etc.).

--Perronnelle

--
Educate the children and it won't be necessary to punish the men.  --
Pythagoras (6th century BCE)