CR - Heraldic Proposals (CR/CP)

Mike C. Baker kihe at rocketmail.com
Fri Jan 30 16:57:42 PST 1998

Drat & double-drat. It appears that I lost my first response to
Galen under this new heading (forced log-outs will do that, even
when triggered by a timer). If I am in error, and there end up being
two of these, please pass the warm towel so I can de-egg my face...

I'll reconstruct briefly, including one of my more egregious bits of
word-play for the week. (No fair skipping ahead for the jokes,
people!)

---Paul Mitchell <pmitchel at flash.net> wrote:
> Mike C. Baker wrote:
> > The "Nordsteorra" apellation has never, to my knowledge, been
> > formally adopted. It is one of those things that just sorta
> > happened along the way. It is my understanding that not everyone
> > in North cares for its use, while others support it as verbal
> > short-hand. I am not aware of any device in general use for
> > "the North".
> So, how can we avoid the circumstance where some people
> have adopted a name, but nobody got a chance to reject it?

By following the accepted, documented process for choosing name and
heralrdy of a new branch (including the populace poll w/signatures,
etc...) Until that time, via social constructs: "Good gentles,
friends and allies, 'Central Region' is so uninspiring as a name.
Would you join my voice in referring to this area as 'Centralia'
until some other name suggests itself to our communal attentions?"

> > > P.S.:  For those who missed it, what I posted before for a
> > > device and name started with noticing that no SCA kingdom
> > > or principality has a horse in its arms.  I've suggested
> > > a name like "Equerria", "Equiterria", or "Equestria",
> > > and arms blazoned "argent, a fess azure, overall a horse
> > > rampant gules, and in base, a laurel wreath vert."  I
> > > haven't heard any other suggestions.
> > I offered one name possibility (a cobbled pseudo-Germanic
> > construct that loosely translated as "heart of the Sable Star":
> > Herzschwarzsterren, or an approximation thereof). I can report
> > hearing some off-list comments that did not seem very enthused
> > with the Equus-based names OR my offering. Your original
> > concept of using the horse as a totem-animal makes sense to
> > me, however, and I don't
> > see any reason to abandon the proposal based purely on initial
> What I don't like about German is that they don't make new
> words, they string together abunch of old ones, like
> "untergruntbahn" (literally:  "under-ground train") to
> mean "subway".  I just want a new word, like "France".

Fair enough. I chose German for my offering because it is a
non-English language I actually know something about (enough to read
and write *simple* concepts, or even read fairly complex stuff as
long as I have a dictionary at hand).

> While I admit to affection for my own suggestions, I'd welcome
> the chance to hear anyone else's.

As would I, certainly. White, blue, and red may be tough to shepherd
through the submission process, but I see no problem with the basic
design so far. Blue crowns / roses can be added readily enough for
differencing the requisite additional devices if ever that time
comes...

> OTOH, I was thinking that if we could get some Central Region
> war tabards together, that could be pretty butch.  Maybe a
> seme of small black stars with a central red rampant horse
> against a gold field...   Hmmm, is broadcloth on sale this
> week?

Hmmm. Central Ansteorran Dragoons, anyone?
"You C.A.D.s!"

Or Central Ansteorran Regional Dragoons, perhaps?
"What a bunch of C.A.R.D.s!"

<gryn>

Long week, long day. And I've had to cancel my travel plans. See
y'all Monday, if not sooner.

===
Adieu -- Amra / Pax ... Kihe / TTFN -- Mike
(al-Sayyid) Amr ibn Majid al-Bakri al-Amra  /
Kihe Blackeagle (the Dreamsinger Bard) /
Mike C. Baker: My opinions are my own -- no one else would want them!
Homepage: http://www.geocities.com/Area51/8661
Alt. e-mail: KiheBard at aol.com, MikeCBaker at aol.com