CR - UH Fighter Group

Amy Forsyth aforsyth at UH.EDU
Thu May 20 14:57:43 PDT 1999

At 03:56 PM 5/20/99 -0500, Michael wrote:
>Sir Cian put
>it this way:
>
>> If these are separate organizations their requirements have nothing to
>> do with each other.  The student organization satisfies the University's
>> rules and the announcements make it part of the SCA infrastructure.  It
>> doesn't particularly matter to the participants or to the organizations
>> who is hosting and who is hosted.
>
>Is it *really* more complicated than that?

Yes. It is.
But it is also a workable issue that can be beneficial to all interests.

To the interests of the University people and potentially associated
groups, it
is a very big issue.  1)  The students that sign are taking all the risk
upon theirselves [none of my concern since I won't be signing].  2)  If the
group is kicked off campus for cause then there's the potential that
another SCA-related group could never form on the campus again.  That's
what I'm trying to avoid.  3)  Having a group on campus of some sort is
probably the only chance that the College will ever have to get going again
(and be acceptable to the political arena in which it must exist).

What's a few words on a piece paper if it means that you'll still get to play?

>However, Lady Adela is beginning to sway me that forming a group at U of H
just
>has too many negative connotations. She very eloquently presents what
sound like
>some very valid points.

I don't see how you can acknowledge something as valid (when it's only a
matter of words on paper, not how the group would function), but still say
that it has negative connotations.

I'm trying to say the opposite of what you're perceiving.  The entire
situation is workable and would be a win-win situation, but that it needs
to be done correctly.

This has always been a part of the problem with Baronial/University group
relations.  Things can be worded so plain and simple, but for the
University group it really isn't that simple.  I wish it were so simple,
and anyone who has been a member of the College at a level where they've
had to deal with the red tape understands this and more than once has
wished it were so as well.

You were the ones who were wanting to set this up.

Well, it can be done in a manner that would satisfy all concerns the form
of it has been handed to you.

You know....I'm beginning to remember one of the reasons why we stopped
playing for so long.  It was because we were burned out, mostly because of
all the work that we put in where the College was concerned.  If only
people could have been a bit more understanding about the situation.....we
had to hide it all under the "they're College students" guise because
that's easier for people to accept.  Not that we were doing political
gymnastics in order to meet the regulations of both groups.

There's no reason for you to slight from something that has been handed to
you free and clear.

~Adela