CR - U of H Fighter Practice

Béatrix d'Angoulême bretz at swbell.net
Fri May 21 18:27:31 PDT 1999

Unto the Coastal List HL Béatrix d'Angoulême, Coastal Regional
Seneschal, sends greetings:

I have been reading this thread for a while, and think that we need to
narrow this down to the essential issues here:

The Loch and Stargate would like to find a central and public place to
hold a joint fighter practice.  Also, it seems that there is a desire to
hold it at UH for three reasons: 1)The University makes for a large,
central location that is reasonably convenient to both Baronies, 2)the
possibility of recruiting new fighters, and 3)the UH practice (in the
days of Twr Cath) was formerly one of the best attended practices in the
area. In order to accomplish this goal, there are come conditions that
must be met.

In order to use the University's facilities, we must provide a presence
on campus that satisfies the University Administration, as well as
adhering to the Society for Creative Anachronism's bylaws and governing
policies.  It is possible that the University will require a formal
on-campus group be formed and maintained in order for our groups to use
their facilities for the purpose of a practice site.  In order for the
group to use the name Society for Creative Anachronism or SCA, Inc. in
its bylaws or constitution, it must be a recognized entity of the
Society.  This would necessitate the formation of an official group
according to the guidelines set out in Corpora.

In order for the proposed constitution to work, one of two things must
be done.  Either the name "Society for Creative Anachronism" and any
association with the SCA be stricken from the document.  Or, the
constitution must be written with a more consistent eye toward meeting
the bylaws and guidelines of the Society.  In short, the campus
organization hosting a practice must either be in the Society or out.
Please note that the second option does not necessarily mandate the
revival of the College of Twr Cath; however I would be required by
Society and Kingdom law to provide any such organization an application
for incipient status.  Although I believe Francois may have difficulty
registering "The Society for Creative Anachronism Medieval Fighters'
Interest Group" :-).

Unfortunately, this is simply a symptom of the age and society (small s)
in which we live.  Gone are the days when we could simply stake out a
corner of the campus and strap on our armor.  Gone too are the days when
the Society (big S) had faster and looser rules regarding such things.

The goal of practicing once more at UH is not impossible, from what I've
seen in this forum.  However, achieving this goal will require patience,
persistence, effort, and most of all, courtesy.

In service,

Béatrix