CR - Getting to know you

Lawrence D. Ruiz lruiz at interconnect.net
Tue Jun 13 11:38:35 PDT 2000

Greetings Coastal Region,
I first want to thank HE Ulsted for this opportunity.  As all know, he did
an excellent job as CR Warlord, so his shoes are not easy to fill.  It is
one of my greatest challenges yet, and I have spent two days mulling over
and talking with various folks on how best to equal his efforts.  I also
want to thank those who also competed for the position of CR Warlord,
notably, HE Michael Silverhands, who looked beautiful on the field.  It was
through knowing this was a competition, that I strove to do the best I
could.
I feel the first order of business I need to address is to find out exactly
how many individual units we have in this region.  I know Seawinds has two
units that cross-train, one is Legio Australis and the other is the Seawinds
Guard.  This year I have led the Guard and its allies in Estrella and Gulf
wars.  Estrella we totaled only about 10, but for Gulf we were in excess of
50.  Through similar alliances, I want to exceed this again.  So, if you are
a fighting household lord, knight's marshal, a mercenary, own a siege
weapon, archer with no affiliation, or just want to know what the heck is
going on please take a minute to email me at lruiz at interconnect.net.   I
would like to hear from every group in the coastal region at a bare minimum,
so if the knight's marshal for your group is not on this list, please email
his address so I can get ahold of him/her.  If you know of any fighting
households residing in the Coastal Region that might not be on this list,
email me the same.  Lastly on this topic, any households that are kingdom
wide/multi-regional that you feel I should contact, please email me the
same.
The purpose of this is to set a structure for the region.  One of the
biggest complaints I have read on the War-Ansteorra list is the structure.
Once the structure is in place, I would like to concentrate on tactics.
Shield wall and multi-weapon tactics first and then I would like to
incorporate archery and siege weaponry.  As siege weapons are only used at
the castle battle on Saturday, these tactics will be refined at Autumn
Melees.
I am proposing each group practice tactics one day a month, at a minimum.  I
would like to see at coastal events, the practice of these tactics so the
northern and southern parts of the region can get together and train.
So all have a heads-up, Siege of the Abbey in January 2001 will be the
Coastal Regional war practice for all weaponry; siege, archery, equestrian,
everything.

I thank you for your time and look forward to hearing from you.
I remain in your service,
Ld. Lawrence the Rampant of Ram's Isle
Coastal Regional Warlord