ES - You said something about a History book for barony?

nib nib at flash.net
Fri May 29 22:34:18 PDT 1998

> Now is the time to start putting together (finding) the info for
> Ansteorra's 20th Year.  Every group will be asked to provide a
> history.
>
> Personally, I think putting together a book of our history that can
> be added to is a great idea.  The historian has the files with
> pictures and other interesting things.  Wouldn't it be fantastic if
> we had an impressive book that was continuously added to.
>
> A page of our Barons/esses, a page for the Title Bards, Heavy
> Defenders and Consorts, Light Defenders and Consorts, Archery
> Defenders and Consorts.  Pages that show founding members, you know,
> all the stuff people want to know.
>
> It would be lots of work, but think of the fun of putting together
> something like this with illuminated pages and calliged info.
>
> Well scribes and illuminators - what do you think?
>
> In service

> Meistres Eowyn ferch Rhys
> Barony of Elfsea, Ansteorra  (Fort Worth, Texas)

Ah...being a scribe..
Been there and done that elsewhere...it's alot of work....and there's a
killer expense involved in doing it if you want it fully handwritten and
calligraphed and bound-and I'm talking about the actual barony group
doing it.  You wouldn't believe how much paper goes into fully
handwritten texts, much less the materials for proper bookbinding-if you
want that book to last for more than 3 years.
We had "sponsors" for sections...pay this amount and your name is
written on the page in gold.
And adding to it??? How very ah...modern.  I would suggest you just
would do a *new* history book dated from that one about every 3-4
years...wouldn't THAT be neat? AS whatever to A.S whatever in the Barony
of Elfsea.

But in basics: Making a barony book with full out killer calligraphy and
illumination

1. A VERY full and COMPLETE outline draft of what you want in the book
is required-typed! typed! typed! That will take you anywhere from 2 to 8
weeks-or even longer as folks add in their suggestions.  The phrase to
them is "good suggestion, type it all up and get it to me in 7 days and
we shall use it after editiing it with you-otherwise we'll just keep on
with what we got."
2. Then you assign "booklets" or sections for the scribes to do.  Now if
you are doing a full book- that means "leaves"...four pages front and
back folded-and a section can be several leaves. Your scribes need extra
paper besides just the leaves they are handed..and a fast class on "how
to fix that oops you did in the calligraphy and illumination and it
still looks ever so perfect." AND A TIME LIMIT TO GET IT DONE.

2. Scribal Assignments: what calligraphy/illumination style shall your
book follow? Or do you want a variety of styles?  Books of hours style?
Or more like formal documents which are basically all text? Remember
certain styles of calligraphy take up more space than others...compare a
black letter to unciel for example.  Illuminated full page sections for
division?  Such as A fully illuminated page with the words "Our history"
on it.  Then the next few pages are the written history with a minimum
of illumination and rubicated letters?.

3. Bookbinding- a whole long hairy project in itself.  And what style of
book binding are you considering?? You got some seriously experienced
folks in this barony?  Not talking about "did some folded accordian
books"...talking serious bookbinding-stitching,glueing, trimming,
folding of the leaves, spine insertion modifications, press for the
book, the works.

4. Extra things that go into a barony book
   a Case...any woodworkers around?
   b. woven fabic- good for the interior of the case or embrodiered
cover too....and a pouch wouldn't hurt, or lovely gloves by a costumer
to hold the book while turning pages (protection ya know grin).
   c. Metal and Jewelry work goes on the binding of the book, the
case...oh yeah, reminds me, i've seen some good tooling workers in this
barony..leatherbound book inlaid with jewels would be rather nice
wouldn't it?

in paperchains
Mistress  Rayah Blackstar