ANST-Announce - Master Blackfox Memorial Blackstar Benefit silent auction

Michael Tucker michaelt at neosoft.com
Fri Mar 30 09:50:09 PST 2001

Unto my kinsmen in Ansteorra, but most especially Thorgrim and Sigen,
Come greetings from Michael Silverhands, your Kingdom Chronicler:

Thorgrim and Sigen, you are dear friends of your Kingdom. Thank you for honoring
Master Blackfox in this way, keeping his memory alive (not that it could ever
fade for those of us who knew him), and aiding the Black Star in a time of need.

Just to let everyone know: there are *two* problems to solve. One is large, but
short term. The other is not so large, but ongoing.

The Black Star is a beautiful newsletter. I think we've been doing a fine job of
living up to the mandate published in the SCA publications policy:

"Each Kingdom's newsletter should be a showpiece of that Kingdom, showing it in
the finest possible light. Newsletters will uphold high standards of excellence
in order to show the pride which each Kingdom has in itself, and provide the
best possible reflection of the Society."

It is not the most lavish, expensive newsletter in the Knowne World - there are
others with claim to that title. But it is far better than most, in my
not-so-humble Ansteorran opinion. I'm *very* proud of what we have here in
Ansteorra, and I have every desire to uphold our "high standards of excellence"
as your Chronicler.

However, we have been spending beyond our means. Part of our membership dues are
sent to each Kingdom as a stipend to subsidize the publication of a newsletter.
Note, I say "subsidize" and not "pay for". Neither Ansteorra, nor any Kingdom
that I know of, is able to completely pay for their newsletter with the stipend alone.

This has created two problems: the ongoing problem is, each month we've been
spending more than we have (about $500 a month, as near as I can tell based on
preliminary figures). The short-term problem is, we've severely drawn down the
Kingdom fund as a result. We need to fix both problems. We need to replenish the
Kingdom fund, and we need to get the Black Star's spending more in line with our
income (either by lowering our spending, or raising our income, or - more likely
- a little of both).

What Thorgrim and Sigen propose will help to fix both problems, if such auctions
are continued and become a part of our tradition in this Kingdom. There are many
other avenues of approach to solving these problems, and I am working with the
Crown and the Great Officers to find the best way(s) to go. I ask for your help
in this as well.

My kinsmen, you can directly help by any of these methods:

1) Take part in these silent auctions. Organize some of your own. We don't have
to set any records with one auction. We are actually better served, in the long
run, if regular, small auctions become a part of our Kingdom tradition. For what
it's worth, that's how Master Blackfox did it when he was here to do them himself.

2) If you don't have a paid membership, get one! We all benefit in many ways
from the dues paid by the members. Some you can see (like the Black Star),
others you can't (like the insurance that allows us to have tournaments). If you
aren't putting in your share, you are riding in the hay wagon without offering
to help pull it.

3) If your company has a program of donating funds to non-profit organizations,
see if you can request them to send some of their funds our way. Many large (and
some small) companies do this every year as a tax write-off. If they're going to
give the money to somebody, it might as well be us. :-)

4) Write to me, or the Crown, with your suggestions. I am *your* Chronicler; I
work for *you*. We've got a lot of smart people in this kingdom, and I welcome
all helpful advice from you. You can reach me via email at <chronicler at ansteorra.org>.

Your Crown and Great Officers are painfully aware of the problems this Kingdom
is facing in the area of "ongoing expenses without ongoing income". We are all
grappling with this issue; the Black Star is just one area where this problem
has surfaced.

Thank you again, Thorgrim and Sigen. What you are doing is wonderful. I'm
looking for ways to raise funds from other than our own pockets, but I never
cease to be amazed and humbled by the generosity of Ansteorrans, especially when
they know that their kingdom needs their help.

Yours in service,
Michael