[Elfsea] OT -- Tax rollback could affect the Bedford Boys Ranch

Richard Threlkeld rjt at softwareinnovation.com
Fri Jan 28 12:14:43 PST 2005

It looks like they need to shut down the water wells (save $500,000), close and sell the city pool (net of $1,600,000), and raise access/usage fees at the SotoGrande site. With a few other changes, it would get the budget in line.

Most cities have facilities like pools, golf courses, meeting rooms, etc. for use of their citizens. Usually, the capital costs of these is paid by the taxpayers, but all the operating costs are required to be recovered by usage fees. I argue that some of these should not be owned by the city, but that is a philosophical argument (ask me about Arlington's climbing gym sometime). It looks like Bedford has run these at substantial operating losses for many years. Fees should be doubled or tripled to cover costs. They should have a staff person who aggressively markets the resources to the public and to groups that might want to use them. If all that makes them unable to compete with similar functions, then the operating costs must be reduced or they should be closed.

If someone wants to discuss this more (and I'm always up for this kind of discussion), I suggest we take it offline as this is truly OT.

Just my $0.02 and worth no more than that,
Caelin on Andrede