[Elfsea] EVENTS - WHAT DO YOU LIKE

Richard Threlkeld rjt at softwareinnovation.com
Mon May 19 09:06:36 PDT 2008

>I have a few questions that I thought might be interesting to find out.
Could you please take a few minutes and answer them.

>Thank you for taking the time.

>Lady Giliana

>1. How far are you willing to travel to daytrip? (hours, mileage)

Daytrip for us is normally 2-3 hours each way.  Our "local" events are often
that far away.

>2. What is the deciding factor as to whether you camp or stay at a hotel?

What will be going on at night, whether there is an Elfsea encampment that
has some organized activities, availability of close hotels.

>3. Do you find it more expensive to camp or stay in a hotel?

Hotel is more expensive, but it is much simpler since we can pack up quite a
bit less stuff. If we camp we have to bring at least the pickup truck and
sometimes the trailer. If we hotel, we can go in the Miata.

>4. If you got a break on the site fee, would you be more willing to show up
early and stay late for set up and tear down?

The site fee is not a critical issue for us. If we were asked to help with
either, we probably would do so if work schedules permitted. BTW, the site
fees in Drachenwald are $40-80 US. That includes basic food. And most
non-locals get to the site by flying to the airport nearest the site and
getting locals to shuttle them to the site. Which makes the travel costs
much more than the site fees.

>5. If you day trip, what time do you generally arrive at the event and what
time do you leave?

Early Saturday morning and we leave after court or feast (whichever is later
and if the feast looks good).

>6. What kinds of things would make you more likely to stay later, let's say
Saturday of the event? (bardic, parties, special nighttime fighting)

Special night time fighting, social activities (but not drinking parties), a
vigil, friends who rarely come to events with me.

>7. Do you have the ability to have one or two people carpool with you to an
event? (space in vehicle, for them and their stuff)

No. Both our vehicles take two people comfortably. However, I can take a
trailer which could offload gear in other vehicles to allow more people in
them.

>8. What kinds of things do you like in a site? Please rank the following (1
thru 8 with 1 being most important)

>__6___   Flush toilets

>__3___   Showers

>__1___   Easy access to water

>__7___   Easy access to electricity

>__4___   Indoor (A/C or heated) hall of some kind

>__8___   Formal parking (Blacktop/cement)

>__5___   Close distance to hotels/food

>__2___   Shade trees

Caelin (not speaking for Pyro)