GE - The Gate's Edge Web Site (or lack thereof)

blaan@flash.net blaan at flash.net
Sat Jan 8 15:37:29 PST 2000

Jack and Kerry Moore wrote:

> 1.  When was first searching for an SCA group to play with in this area I
> was frustrated by the fact that Gate's Edge has basically zer0 presence on
> the web.  I think that it is important that we be represented on the net, so
> I took a few minutes to write us a page.  This is the url where you can go
> look at it
> http://home.compaq.net/~jack.moore/gatesedge.html. This has not been linked
> to anything I just put it on my server so that you all can see it.

It looks very nice and quite professional.  We DO have a link on the Ansteorran
page.  It does go to the Stargate page however.  But my email (and soon my
sucessor's email) is available on that page.  I did like the way it looked and
you do have a lot of neat stuff there.  Lord Steven set up the GE list and may
have some comments.  As for legal stuff from a seneschal's angle, the disclaimer
at the end looks like it covers just about everything.  Have you contacted Pug
and discussed the page with him?  He would be able tot ell you if that
disclaimer needed anything.  I also believe he would be the one to authorize the
link into the Ansteorran page.

> 2.  Let me know what you think.  Please pay specific attention to how your
> name should be spelled, whether you want your E-mail address on the page and
> what things you think I should add or omit.  Basically any suggestion more
> constructive than "Bad viking, no biscuit" would be appreciated.  I did not
> include direction on how to get to populous or how to get on this list.  Do
> you think I should?  I'm hoping that using this page as a base we can, as a
> group, come up with something we can link into the kingdom page.

My name is spelled just fine.  Yes to email.  No to personal phone #'s.  Yes to
directions to populace.  Yes to directions to join the GE list.  No to personal
addresses.  This is pretty much the way Kingdom handles it.  Email is
screenable.  Even tho we publish our personal addresses etc. in our newsletter
that is a bit more discretionary than the web.

> 3.  Our event really needs a page too.  Please let me know the information
> that I need to fill the blanks in my placeholder page.

You could add that Caitlin is the "evil and perverse despot"  er....on second
though perhaps autocrat is fine.  Seren is feastocrat.  Their emails would be
ok.  Cait needs to ge the site confirmed but it should be at St. Thomas Aquinas
again....save that for later.

> 4.   If someone else wants to be virtual scribe please feel free to take
> over my page, or write your own.  But someone has to commit to updating our
> site, interfacing with Pug, etc.  I'm willing to do it if no one else wants
> to.  Let me know.

Have at it.  I liked the runes by the way.