ANSTHRLD - Coronets or fillets?

Timothy A. McDaniel tmcd at crl.com
Thu Feb 12 15:19:56 PST 1998

Ulf wrote:
> The nobility knew a good thing when
> they saw it, and started "granting" arms to individuals.

Do you have any evidence of nobles granting arms?  Also,
what jurisdictions other than in Britain had granted arms?
(I think they existed; I dimly recall that some French arms
were granted by the Crown.  I'd just like to know the
scope.)

> The rank of the granter,
> not the grantee, decided which was more valid.

Excuse me?  When there were courts of chivalry, there were
various factors involved.  The famous Scrope vs. Grovenor
case had political implications (Scrope being powerful with
the king), and neither set of arms were granted by anyone.

> Except in England, of course, where some college thought
> they had more authority than the crowns... oops. That's
> too close to home...

Excuse me?!?  Garter is under the Earl Marshal is under the
Sovereign.  The Earl Marshal can give orders, and the Crown
can too as part of the perogative (tho usually on the advise
of the Home Minister).  What examples can you adduce of the
English College of Arms ignoring the Crown?

Daniel de Lincolia
- --
Tim McDaniel.   Reply to tmcd at crl.com; if that fail, tmcd at austin.ibm.com
is work account.  tmcd at tmcd.austin.tx.us ... is wrong tool.  Never use this.