ANSTHRLD - submission question (Sla'ine)

Kathri at aol.com Kathri at aol.com
Mon Apr 10 06:40:22 PDT 2000

In a message dated 4/9/2000 3:36:50 PM Central Daylight Time,
catsden at texas.net writes:

> the submitter had found something somewhere that
>  indicated the word or phrase "mac-tire" to be something about a wolf.

True.  From the documentation:
_A Pronouncing and Etymological Dictionary of the Gaelic Language_, Malcolm
MacLennan (University Press, Aberdeen, 1979, photolithographic reproduction
of the first edition, 1925, published by John Grant, Edinburgh), p 610 shows:

wolf, s. madadh-allahd; mac-tire; faol

Also _Book of Irish Names_, Coghlan, R et al, (Sterling Pub Co, NY,NY, 1989)
p 127 in chapter "Root Words" shows:

Mac-tire (macteera), a wolf; *micteera, victeera*

(Kathri is back now---)
Coghlan is no longer allowed as a name source (due to proven inaccuracy and
unreliability), and a dictionary definition does not prove that a word was
ever used as a name. So the existing documentation doesn't work.

I think the submitter should be advised to document the name she wants any
way she can, without worrying about meaning, and register the arms she wants
if they don't conflict.  If she believes they are canting arms, that's fine,
especially if they really are.  Either way, the College of Heralds will have
done its job.

>  Further details escape me - I'm frankly surprised I remembered that
>  much.

Me, too!  I don't remember this much about submissions that went through last
month! Never mind 1996!

Kathri, *