ANSTHRLD - Sleeping Bear

Kathleen O'Brien kobrien at bmc.com
Wed Jul 12 08:00:31 PDT 2000

>I checked the 30 years of precedents for other sleeping names
>but this is it.
>
>Ursa has never been registered as a household name.
>
>The easiest route may be to register Sleeping Bear and translate
>it for use.  Bear presents no problem.  The OED will determine
>if sleeping is a descriptor in period use.  Since a bear dormant
>is an heraldic charge I would argue, along with several others,
>Sleeping Bear can be drawn as an inn sign.  Thus, Household of
>the Sleeping Bear should be allowed.

Given the example (see the raw data page in my sign names article) of a
letter written in Latin refering to a location by the name Ursi ("at the
sign of the bear" I think is the translation), I believe that the Latin
form is registerable.  We just need to get this into a properly constructed
Latin form.

And that will take someone with much better Latin skills than I have.

I know household names in Latin have come through since I started reading
all the kingdoms' LoIs in Jan. 1999, but I can't remember what they were
and if they were passed.  (One had some documentation problems.)

One thing to think about is whether you want the designator (House,
Company, etc.) in a Latin form as well.

Mari