ANSTHRLD - Conflict Checktmcd

Darin K. Herndon darin-herndon at utulsa.edu
Thu Oct 19 03:54:40 PDT 2000

Cahira wrote:
>Would having a bend sinister (that is engrailed?) that
>is gold with black above it (to the left?) and purple
>below it (to the right?) work?

In the SCA, yes.  In period, not real likely.  I think Daniel would
use the term "vanishingly rare" here.  Anytime you start going "Per
X, an X" (X can equal any of the standard field divisions) you are
getting into TSCA heraldry.  TSCA is "Typically SCA".  It would be
something common to the SCA but not really comon to period.  To give
two examples, 1) Per chevron, a chevron... and 2) Per bend, a bend...

I would suggest against it though you can probably register it.

>That way, the two dark
>colors are separated by the light color?

Actually (and this is part of why its uncommon) the colors are not
separated.  They still touch each other under that bend sinister.
But, the bend overlays the division so you cannot see it.  It is not
between them.

>Or...I was browsing on the sca site and on this page:
>http://www.sca.org/heraldry/primer/ordinaries.html
>I found "a pile inverted." Could I do something like
>that with black on one side and purple on the other
>and gold in the middle? Or is that illegal?

I haven't conflict checked but...  Per pale sable and purpure, a pile
inverted throughout Or.  "Throughout" notes that the pile would
stretch from bottom to top.  It gives you visual separation of the
sable and purpure (although they are still touching).  There may be a
conflict though; piles are fairly common in heraldry.  This is not
illegal and I like it.

>I'm definitely liking "engrailed."

One note on the complex lines of division.  Don't use them between
the black and the purple area.  Complex lines get lost when between
colors of low contrast and they frequently get returned too.  Between
Or and anything or to edge an ordinary though is fine.

>I like "vairy," but how would I work my 3rd color in
>there? (I don't want just black and gold...I don't
>want to look like an Ansteorran flag, and I don't want
>just purple and gold...I've seen that done a lot, it
>seems). And I'm not worried about it being
>tiresome...as long as I'm the only one who has to draw
>it. I don't want to annoy my friends who are artists
>every time I need to paint my shield. :-)

The following are not common (to my knowledge) but I think these
would be allowable and I welcome comment from the list if I am wrong.
Please feel free to rearrange the colors below in any order that does
not place black on purple or purple on black.

Per pale Or and purpure, a tierce sable.  (The black tierce on gold
would be symbolic of Ansteorra but not blatant.)

Per fess Or and purpure, a canton sable.  The canton does not stretch
all of the way to the per fess division.

>It's just getting worse with every post, isn't it?

We really do like this stuff.  Please keep asking.

>If
>the rest of you are tired of this thread, I can kill
>it for now and just ask all my questions at the
>consultation table at 3 Kings (there will be a
>consultation table there, right?). Just let me know.

I had not heard.  Magnus is there one scheduled?

Etienne