ANSTHRLD - Conflict Check

Kathri at aol.com Kathri at aol.com
Tue Oct 17 08:10:19 PDT 2000

Kathri here, jumping in to give Cahira a head start with her pieces of felt.
(Wish I could just show her mine. :-)   )

> So, if the divisions basically divide the
>  device into thirds, it would be per pall inverted?

Right.

>  What do you mean by "if the bottom half is truly
>  one-half"? Does that mean that the chevron starts half
>  way down on the edge of the shield? Or does the point
>  of the chevron reach to halfway up on the shield?

Neither.  The chevron should start below the halfway point and the point
should be above the halfway point.  Period chevrons tended to be steep --
starting quite low and ending quite high.  The rule of thumb for a chevron is
that the start/end should be as far below the halfway point as the point is
above it, although there are times when we don't do this.  However, a
correctly drawn chevron is considered to divide a device into halves, not
thirds or anything else.

For "per pall inverted", the three divisions meet in the center of the field.
 To distinguish "per chevron" from "per pall inverted" it is important that
the point of the chevron reach distinctly above the center of the field.
This is part of what Teceangl meant when she said "correctly drawn division
lines will make all the difference."

Kathri