[ANSTHRLD] question about "in saltire"

Jennifer Smith jds at randomgang.com
Tue Aug 21 22:32:41 PDT 2001

So here's an esoteric question for you armory heralds.
 If I have two non-identical things in saltire, how do
I (or indeed, can I) specify which goes where?  In
other words, which overlaps the other and in what
order?

For example: "in salitire an A and a B" (warning,
ASCII art ahead)

1) is it (A from ne to sw, B from nw to se, A on top)
B   A
 B A
 A B
A   B

2) or (A from ne to sw, B from nw to se, B on top)
B   A
 B A
 A B
A   B

3) or (A from nw to se, B from ne to sw, B on top)
A   B
 A B
 B A
B   A

4) or (A from nw to se, B from ne to sw, A on top)
A   B
 A B
 B A
B   A

I tend to lean towards #2, but am not sure why.  I
know it doesn't make any difference for conflict
purposes, but for reproducability...

-Emma de Fetherstan

--
Jennifer Smith