[ANSTHRLD] Re: Fast track August items

Teceangl tierna at agora.rdrop.com
Sun Aug 12 02:48:48 PDT 2001

> >Fast-Track #1, Ciaran O'Neill, Name: I'm not at all sure, but I think
> >this is mixed Gaelic-English orthography, and thus a weirdness, but
> >not presently cause for return.  Whether an item with a weirdness
> >ought to be fast-tracked is a larger philosophical decision.
>
> The name is correct pure Irish Gaelic for a post 1200
> masculine with a clan name.  The O should probably
> be lower case, has the accent, and is used with the
> clan byname in the nominative case.  A pre 1200
> clan name or a clan name with a patronymic would be
> different.  Case and gender of the byname as well
> as the century affect the formation.
> A wonderful lesson on the formation of Gaelic names
> can be read at:
> http://www.medievalscotland.org/scotnames/quickgaelicbynames/

And if you read that article, you discover that the name above is
most certainly *not* a Gaelic clan affiliation byname.  It's quite
definitely Anglicized.
You want {o'} as the designator and the genitive form of Neill, in
the proper period spelling, which is N{e'}ill.  As for Ciaran, the
accent needs to be replaced for it to be correct.  Ciar{a'}n.

So you can fast-track the name as given above, or you can _really_ help
the submitter by sending up the correct form: Ciar{a'}n {o'} N{e'}ill.

- Lady Teceangl Bach
  Sable Mountain Herald
  An Tir
--
                Don't put all your eggs in one basket.
    Use an egg box like everyone else and stop being such a poser.