[ANSTHRLD] Pen and sword

Teceangl tierna at agora.rdrop.com
Thu Aug 23 21:03:42 PDT 2001

> It is not that hard to select armory that suits
> a time period.  You don't necessarily have to
> pick the simple Norman period that Daniel
> prefers or the German armory I like.  We see
> far too much modern, fantasy, and Renny armory
> that we really need to get it over to the populace
> that you don't have to do it that way.  Each of us
> needs to explore different eras and styles of armory
> as names have already been explored.

Overheard at the consult table:
Herald: "Ummm, this has a complexity count of eight, would you consider
dropping some elements?"
Client: "Actually, I've been doing some research on period heraldry and
that's what it should look like for my persona."
<standard discussion of period armory being uncomplicated begins, listened
to patiently by submitter>
Client picks up Bedingfeld.  "Well, you see, my persona is Tudor, living
in London, and his arms were granted in 1520.  By Garter.  Thomas
Wriothesley.  I've already had to drop a tertiary charge group and two
tinctures to get it down to eight."  <points at a Wriothesley grant which
counts 11.>  "I know I can't get that complex according to the rules..."
Herald: "Oh.  Damn.  Did your homework, then, did you?"
Grinning furiously the herald then blazons the device:
"Argent, on a fess gules between three martlets azure a rose between two
hawk's bells argent, a bordure engrailed azure."
Client had originally had the charges on the fess Or and the bordure sable
crusilly crosslet argent.

- Teceangl
--
                Don't put all your eggs in one basket.
    Use an egg box like everyone else and stop being such a poser.