ANSTHRLD - Household Question

GeekGrrl geekgrrl at geekgrrl.org
Wed Feb 7 13:57:20 PST 2001

On Wed, 7 Feb 2001, Timothy A. McDaniel wrote:

> It's just like any other name submission: what evidence do you have
> that this is a period-style name for its type of thing, in this case
> for an organized group of people in period?  (Probably none, I'd bet:
> we don't have many good generally-available sources.)

The only 'documentation' I have been able to find is a Precedent of Bruce
Draconarius of Mistholme:

"House names in period don't seem to have been overly fantastic. For the most
part, they come from the same linguistic well as period bynames. In particular,
since a period house name was so often simply the surname, byname, or epithet
of its founder, any such epithet that is acceptable in a Society personal name
should be acceptable as a Society household name. This is the rule of thumb
I've formulated for determining the acceptability of household names
henceforth. If we would register John X, we should register House X as well.
We would not permit John Starwalker, so we should not permit House Starwalker.
We would register John of the Red Sickles (wincing, perhaps, but we would), so
we should register House of the Red Sickles. (2 July, 1992 Cover Letter (June,
1992 LoAR), pg. 3)"

There's not a problem following this precedent, the main thing I am
concerned about is having any household submissions returned if the above
precedent is all I have in most cases.

The particular query that prompted me to ask was a household wishing to name
themselves "House of the White Shark" which follows the "House of the Red
Sickles" example. It could also have been the name of an inn as cited earlier
in the precedent (the part I didn't quote), though perhaps an unsavory one. ;)

There is one registered name: John Shark the Wanderer (june 1976). Is there
enough difference here?

Sunnifa