[ANSTHRLD] Re: [artheralds] Answering questions

Timothy A. McDaniel tmcd at jump.net
Mon Jun 25 12:52:29 PDT 2001

> Argent, a tierce gules. ...
> one might even say: Argent tierced gules.

I don't think so.  I believe that "tierced" is usually a specification
of a field division -- that is, usually followed by three tinctures.
For example, the flag of the Republic of France is "Tierced azure,
argent, and gules", although the SCA Armorial prefers to avoid
"tierced" for the more-or-less equivalent "Per pale azure and gules, a
pale argent.".  (I prefer "tierced" in such a case, because it
emphasizes that all three stripes ought to be the same width.)

Daniel de Lincolia
    tmcd at us.ibm.com is my work account.
up to and including this sig!" -- Jukka.Korpela at hut.fi (Jukka Korpela)