[RE: ANSTHRLD - Can this be done?]

Timothy A. McDaniel tmcd at jump.net
Wed Mar 21 13:36:30 PST 2001

> Purpure, on a lozenge argent a turtle sable

Someone noted a conflict.  Unfortunately, you can't put multiple
turtles on there, because it then hits our rules on appearance of arms
of pretense.

Another possibility is to use an escutcheon rather than a lozenge.
That looks more period, being much more common than a lozenge (a
charged lozenge is a bit of an SCA cliche).  An escutcheon has the
same rules and limitations as a lozenge in this case.

You could also have multiple lozenges or escutcheons, each charged
with a turtle.

But let me step back and mention period style.  Purpure was quite rare
in period, somewhere around 1-2% of all coats in period, except for
the Iberian peninsula (8%?), if memory serves.  Turtles were quite
rare too.  In period, if you had one unusual practice, everything else
tended to be utterly usual, so you're much less likely to have turtles
AND purpure in the same design.  If you strongly want both, perhaps
having the turtle(s) be sable and have purpure be in another charge,
like
    Argent, a (fess|chevron) purpure between 3 turtles sable.
A bordure or chief is possible instead, but a bit of an SCA cliche.

On the other hand, it's the *client* who has to live with any
design, not me.  Those are just style *suggestions*; the important
thing is whether it's *registerable*, which is not the same as period
style.

Daniel de Lincolia
    tmcd at us.ibm.com is my work account.
up to and including this sig!" -- Jukka.Korpela at hut.fi (Jukka Korpela)