[ANSTHRLD] Don't use these books

Teceangl tierna at agora.rdrop.com
Fri Jun 28 00:54:02 PDT 2002

> > Hopefully this post will eradicate the pest before
> > it spreads.
>
> While I agree that these tomes should not be used as documentation, some of them can start you on the road to finding real documentation by giving the possible language(s), location(s), and/or origin(s) a particular name might have come. I would not reccomend this method for anyone who has not been doing Onomastics for a while, and there by know the pitfalls of such information, but it could give you a lead on where to look in a real and reliable onomastic resource.

Not even while drunk.  I'm familiar with half or more of the books on the
list, and they're far more harm than good.  The worst is that several list
random things as having come from linguistic traditions they're not even
nodding acquaintances with.  And migawd how happy they are to lump mythic
and divine names into the general name pool.
Uh-uh.  If you have these books or nothing, ask someone else for help.

- Teceangl
--
  Sable, seven mascles conjoined three, three and one argent.