[ANSTHRLD] Can someone conflict check this

Brent.Ryder at compucom.com Brent.Ryder at compucom.com
Tue Jun 4 10:57:32 PDT 2002

> so would this pass?

> > Borek writes...

>>Actually no; by X.4.j.ii(.a) you get one CD for changing the type of tertiary,
>>since it's on an ordinary, so the proposed device is clear of Elewys Luscomb.

Loads of fun. Strange this point hasn't come up before, makes conflict checking easier is some ways. According to the RfS found at http://www.sca.org/heraldry/laurel/rfs.html#10.4 :

RfS X.4.j.ii.a states:
ii. In simple cases substantially changing the type of all of a group of identical charges placed entirely on other charges is one clear difference. Only the new submission is required to be a simple case in order to benefit from the following clauses.

Simple cases are defined by the following clauses. The word charge refers both to charged and to uncharged charges unless it is specifically qualified; a group of charges may contain one or more charges. A charge is suitable for the purposes of this rule if (a) it it simple enough in outline to be voided, and (b) it is correctly drawn with an interior substantial enough to display easily recognizable charges.

(a) Armory that has a group of identical charges on an ordinary or other suitable charge alone on the field is a simple case.

Sable, on a pale argent three lozenges sable has one clear difference from Sable, on a pale argent three ravens sable . Or, on a heart vert a pheon argent has one clear difference from Or, on a heart vert a cross moline argent . Argent, a lion rampant gules charged with a cross crosslet Or does not have a clear difference from Argent, a lion rampant gules charged with a heart Or because the lion is too complex in outline to be voided. Gules, on a mullet of six points Or a cross crosslet sable does not have a clear difference from Gules, on a mullet of six points Or a pellet because the interior of a correctly drawn mullet of six points is too small.

So, since the device is considered 'simple' (as defined in the RfS) a CD can be obtained for changing only the type of teriaries which made your device clear of the conflict I called. But,

> > There is a conflict, however, with Julian of the Purple Mist, 'Purpure, on a
> > pile argent two sprigs of laurel proper'.  You only get a maximum of one CD
> > for any changes made to a tertiary, per X.4.j.

Which means you got a CD for the change in type due to X.4.j.ii.a, but not a second CD for changing the tincture of the tertiary since only one CD can be obtained by this rule for the change.

This may make your suggestion of adding two roses as secondaries (Or or argent) more likely to not be in coflict. I'll have to check again to be sure.

Borek