[ANSTHRLD] Lion question

Tim McDaniel tmcd at jump.net
Sun Jun 9 13:17:42 PDT 2002

On Sun, 9 Jun 2002, Will Manning <eirineach at hotmail.com> wrote:
> The lion in question is not knotwork per-say, only the tail is.

There is the heraldic concept of "tail nowed", that is, 'knotted'.
But if it's complicated Celtic interlace, the chances of return are
likely to be high.

> It would have to fimbriated to be recognizable.

Please explain.  The basic design was a gold field and a black lion;
that seems quite recognizable to me.

> The posture would be "standing".

Standing on what -- all four feet on the "ground"?  That's "statant".
(If the head is facing to dexter, that's the default; if the head is
facing the viewer, it's "guardant"; if the head is facing over the
back, it's "reguardant".  None of those gets a difference.)  "Statant"
is a difference from "rampant", so the previous 1-CD conflicts would
not apply, but the no-CD conflicts would become 1-CD conflicts and
would still shoot it down.

If you're not *completely* sure of the language of blazon, it's best
to describe it both via your proposed blazon and in plain English, so
we can cross-check them.  If not, we end up considering and
conflict-checking something that you don't even want.

> The very first idea of the client was the same device with three
> tri-knots in chief

Triquetras?  "and in chief three widgets" is a period and registerable
motif, done a little more in the SCA than in period.  I don't know
that triquetras were done in period armory, but they're registerable
in the SCA.

> "Or, a lion sable" is the one they wanted me to check out for them.

It's a fine starting point.  "Passant" is more common for lions
('walking': statant but with one forefoot out as though it's about to
take a step), but either "passant" or "statant" is a fine notion.
Unfortunately, something else would have to be done to get it clear of
the conflicts: changing the field tincture, changing the lion
tincture, changing the number of lions (my favorite), changing its
orientation / posture, adding charges on the field (done a lot in the
SCA to clear conflicts; I think it's a bit of a cliche so I try to
look for other acceptable changes first), adding charges on the lion
(done more in period than in the SCA), ...

> I have had a feeling that I would have to strongly persuade them
> away from knotwork.

Knotwork was not done in period heraldry.  Not even in Ireland: it was
an import from England and the Continent and they followed English and
Continental style.  Knotwork is not done in SCA heraldry.  Good luck.

Daniel de Lincolia
--
Tim McDaniel (home); Reply-To: tmcd at jump.net;
if that fail, my work address is tmcd at us.ibm.com.