[ANSTHRLD] Re: Stars

C. L. Ward gunnora at vikinganswerlady.org
Sun Mar 10 19:25:22 PST 2002

Daniel mentioned:
>The Vulgate, which is what Western Europeans used until the
>Reformation, had
>    dicentes ubi est qui natus est rex Iudaeorum vidimus enim stellam
>    eius in oriente et venimus adorare eum
>"Oriente" doesn't look promising...

oriens, orientis "rising sun, morning sun, day, Orient, east"

The Latin has both the sense of "rising" (as in the sun at morning" and
"east").

Now, my Greek isn't nearly as good as my Latin (1 semester vs. 12 years)
but...

Matthew 2:9 says in the Greek:
"eidomen gar autou ton astera en te anatole"
[for we saw his star in the east]

Matthew 2:9 has:
"kai idou o aster on eidon en te anatole proegen autous"
[and behold the star which they saw in the east went before them]

The word in question in the Greek is "anatole", which is "a rising, as of
the sun and stars;
the east, the direction of the sun's rising".  Both the Latin and Greek have
some ambiguity in the term.

The word anatole occurs ten times in the Bible, usually in the directional
sense of "east":

Mt 2:1
Now when Jesus was born in Bethlehem of Judaea in the days of Herod the
king, behold, there came wise men from the >>>east<<< to Jerusalem,

Mt 2:2    Saying, Where is he that is born King of the Jews? for we have
seen his star in the >>>east<<<, and are come to worship him.

Mt 2:9    When they had heard the king, they departed; and, lo, the star,
which they saw in the >>>east<<<, went before them, till it came and stood
over where the young child was.

Mt 8:11    And I say unto you, That many shall come from the >>>east<<< and
west, and shall sit down with Abraham, and Isaac, and Jacob, in the kingdom
of heaven.

Mt 24:27    For as the lightning cometh out of the >>>east<<<, and shineth
even unto the west; so shall also the coming of the Son of man be.

Lu 1:78    Through the tender mercy of our God; whereby the >>>dayspring<<<
from on high hath visited us,

Lu 13:29    And they shall come from the >>>east<<<, and from the west, and
from the north, and from the south, and shall sit down in the kingdom of
God.

Rev 7:2    And I saw another angel ascending from the >>>east<<<, having the
seal of the living God: and he cried with a loud voice to the four angels,
to whom it was given to hurt the earth and the sea,

Rev 16:12    And the sixth angel poured out his vial upon the great river
Euphrates; and the water thereof was dried up, that the way of the kings of
the >>>east<<< might be prepared.

Rev 21:13    On the >>>east<<< three gates; on the north three gates; on the
south three gates; and on the west three gates.

::GUNNORA::