[ANSTHRLD] Squires, Achievements of Arms, and Ranks (Oh My!)

tmcd at panix.com tmcd at panix.com
Thu Feb 27 11:44:03 PST 2003

"Timothy Rayburn" <timothy at elfsea.net> wrote:
> While we have little ability to change things, what would you prefer
> to see rather than the belt system?

Um, the period ways of marking someone as "mine", namely,
livery, badges, and acting like a retainer (like hanging around the
lord and master in ceremonial entrances).

It's of no particular use for me to know that such-and-so is an
apprentice to someone.  If I know that there's an apprentice to
Mistress Serena, say, then I know who to go to to say "Your apprentice
is a poopy-head / is a great person / is a great person but something
of a poopy-head / whatever".

> which I can understand because rank or not, there are those who
> treat the rank of Squire, Apprentice or Protege as a rank.

That notion is rank.

Daniel de Lincolia
--
Tim McDaniel, tmcd at panix.com; tmcd at us.ibm.com is my work address