[ANSTHRLD] Squires, Achievements of Arms, and Ranks (Oh My!)

Timothy Rayburn timothy at elfsea.net
Thu Feb 27 11:46:29 PST 2003

>I see the fact that wearing belts is just a tradition but those who do are very proud of the fact.  I am not a Squire, Protegee, or Apprentence or Student.  I am just a man-at-arms but I wear the belt of black green and white <my squires colors> proudly.  I feel that were we to do away with this system no matter how informal it might be would be a travesty...

With respect I find a practice such as the one you describe concerning the wearing in clothing (or belt) of livery colors to be much more supportable than the generic Red == Squire, Green == Apprentice, Yellow == Protege format.

The question I pose is much more related to the arbitrary colored belts such as those illustrated above.  I realize that what I suggest runs 'against the norms', and Lord Seamus' reply indicates clearly how much emotional charge is placed in their belts by Squires / Proteges / Apprentices.

Please remember we can change nothing here.  Just as neither the College of Arms or the College of Heralds had any say over the creation of these symbols, likewise they would have no say over changing such.  It is more a discussion of symbolism, which is very germain to this list.

Timothy