[ANSTHRLD] documentation help...

Tim McDaniel tmcd at panix.com
Mon Apr 26 12:42:53 PDT 2004

On Mon, 26 Apr 2004 mattias at playbard.com <heralds at ansteorra.org> wrote:
> IE: of Galloway (england)

Less than a minute of Googling and taking the first hit shows that
Galloway is in southern Scotland.  Is there a lesser-known one in
England?

> and How to document translations such as "la Serin Noir" (french -
> the black canary).

Taking a random phrase and trying to justify it is called
"retro-documentation".  It's as frustrating as being hungry and
getting a meal by driving to a corner and seeing if there happens to
be a restaurant there.  It often takes an expert to tap-dance around
the evidence convincingly.  But ...

> I have been given these as submissions but they were incomplete and
> I want to send them on with the proper documentation.

... you personally don't have much choice in the instant case, having
been presented with the names.  Sometimes it's just easiest to pass
them up to Asterisk and let her return it with an explanation -- but I
comend you for making an effort to try to clean it up before
submitting.

> examples are ("Bob" of galloway) and ("Bob" la serin Noir)

Please post the full names -- we may find other problems that make the
whole name impossible.  E.g., Arabic-French might have already been
returned as an unregisterable combination, and they want 'Aisha la
serin Noir.  (I don't know that that's true, but I would find it
unsurprising.)  Or maybe they want to be Dinah Lance la serin Noir.

Daniel de Lincolia
--
Tim McDaniel, tmcd at panix.com; tmcd at us.ibm.com is my work address