[ANSTHRLD] border, CD and crescent questions

Tim McDaniel tmcd at panix.com
Thu Jan 8 19:12:19 PST 2004

On Thu, 8 Jan 2004, Sara L Friedemann <liana at ellipsis.cx> wrote:
> Quoth "Bridget the Stargazer":
> > What's the default position for a crescent moon (which way are the
> > points facing?)?

By the way: are you interested in a plain crescent, or something with
a face?  If there's a face in profile, it's an increscent moon or
decrescent moon, quoth the Pic Dic.

> I believe' it's:
>
> crescent: points up
> crescent pendant: points down
> increscent: points to dexter
> decrescent: points to sinister
>
> But I may have those last two reversed.

You have them right.  The mnemonic I use is that an increscent is an
increasing (waxing) moon, and a decrescent is a decreasing moon, but
that requires remembering or deriving how the Moon orbits in relation
to the Sun when viewed from the Earth.

Daniel de Lincolia
--
Tim McDaniel (home); Reply-To: tmcd at panix.com; work is tmcd at us.ibm.com.