[ANSTHRLD] German naming question

Doug Bell debell1 at txcyber.com
Wed May 25 09:25:36 PDT 2005

> The person wants to use the name of a tavern as their last name.

Tavern and house signs are a good source of household names in German.

> I know from the Rules for Submission (Section III, sub 2, sub a, sub
> iii) that the "zum" in front of the name would indicate "from the".

It can be von or zu depending on the time period and type of location.
That's why we look for an period example.
Zum is a contraction of zu dem meaning "of the"

>Does anyone have any thoughts on "Zuckerbär"... meaning sugar bear?

Yes, but your client may not be too crazy about them.  Bar/Bahr is used as a
house name in German as are many other animals and plants (lots of orchard
type trees) and some everyday items like stars and crowns.
Zucker does refer to a sugar maker but it is also Middle High German for a
highwayman robber.
I don't see any support in Bahlow for Zuckerbar.  The names of houses and
farms I have found in writing the article on German households are very
simple and literal.

Just curious, where did this name come from?  Was it constructed from modern
German?

Magnus
Orle Herald