[ANSTHRLD] Okay I'm a little confused now.

Kathleen O'Brien kobrien at texas.net
Wed Oct 11 23:40:22 PDT 2006

At 04:02 PM 10/11/2006 -0700, you wrote:
>I stand (sit) corrected.  My father, Leslie Claude Wade would have been
>mortified to leard it was Scottish.  First-generation English decent.

Well, if it's any consolation, the people who ended up with the surname
seem to all be Scoto-Normans, not Gaels.  *grin!*

I think, though, that Leslie is one of the names that became quite popular
as a masculine given name in England early in the 20th C.  (I'm recalling
the actor Leslie Howard...)  So, in that context, it was typically English.

I just checked in Black (p. 425 s.n. Leslie).  That entry says:

Of territorial origin from the lands or barony of the name.  Ear David,
brother of William the Lion, granted c. 1171-99 the lands of Lesslyn in the
Gariochto Malcom, son of Bartholf (CAB., p. 547), a Fleming.  Robert de
Leslie was rector of the church of Slains, 1272 (REA., I, p. 34), and
Symone de Lescelye or Lesellyn witnessed a quitclaim of Beeth Waldef in
Fife, 1278 (RD., p. 52-53). [...]

Mari