[ANSTHRLD] Help please: "summary" in the Name Documentation area

Alasdair MacEogan alasdair at bmhanson.net
Tue Apr 3 13:01:26 PDT 2007

Daniel wrote:
>  My invariable comment on that sort of documentation: "But what do they
>  *say*?"  Text liek that is pretty much useless because they don't
>  contribute any useful data to deciding whether the submission is
>  period style or no.  For all we know, the books could say that either

You are of course right.  Made me go back and look at what i acltually put on the forms in those 2 cases.

----
Margarite McBridin is listed in The Surnames of Scotland by George F. Black on page 460 under the surname MacBridan.

“Margarite McBridin had a precept of remission ‘pro murthuro unius viri inventi [? Iuventi] in domo de Balokert’ in 1529”
----
Submitter pronounces name as Li-zet de May-ners

Lisette - Withycombe, E. G. Dictionary of English Christian Names, 3rd edition.
    Page 100 under the entry for Elizabeth show Lisette as a French variation that
    was occasionally used in England.
    Also, the Ansteorran Gazette from August 1991 under entry number 26.
    Lisette Gabrielle de Bar give additional documentation dating the name of
    Lisette de Montalba to April 6 1528 in a book by Leah Lydia Otis entitled
    Prostitution in Medieval Society.

de Meyners - Black, George F. The Surnames of Scotland. On page 595 under
    the entry for Menzies. Given as the Norman origin for the surname Menzies,
    The earliest date for this name is given as Robert de Meyners in 1224.
----

Are those a little bit better examples Daniel?  probably incomplete as they are but those are the blocks from actual submissions I did some time ago.  If it is not obvious the names registered were Margarite McBridin and Lisette de Meyners.

Bah, I'll leave this to those who know what they are doing now.

Alasdair "With much egg on his face" MacEogan