[ANSTHRLD] Help please - Conflict check for "Gyronny sable and Or, a wolf rampant holding a key azure"

Tim McDaniel tmcd at panix.com
Tue Apr 17 11:34:53 PDT 2007

On Tue, 17 Apr 2007, Robert Wade <logiosophia at yahoo.com> wrote:
> Luciana Caterina di Borghese <dolce.luce at gmail.com> wrote:
> > I have a client who is interested in a device. The background is
> > Gyronny, probably of 10 segments, in Sable and Or. There will be
> > an azure wolf rampant, holding a key in it's paw, that will be
> > either azure or gules.
> >
> > I believe that the blazon would be: "Gyronny sable and Or, a wolf
> > rampant holding a key azure (gules)".

The SCA don't use "holding".  The term we use depends on the size of
the object (because it affects how we count CDs).

* If the key is of equivalent visual weight to the wolf -- that is,
   one insanely big key -- then it's "sustaining", and the key and the
   wolf are both charges in the primary charge group.

* If it's a little key, then it's "maintaining" and doesn't count in
   difference.

Also, the default (as Tostig noted) is eight slices to a gyronny.  If
you order an extra large, you have to specify it: here, "Gyronny of
ten".  I don't know of period examples, although I would be surprised
if it were not registerable.  Ten slices has no difference from eight.

Assuming that the key is maintained:

> Wolfram von N¨¹rnberg
> Or, a wolf rampant azure maintaining an archepiscopal staff sable
> within an orle of wolf's pawprints azure.
> 1 CD for the field, 1 CD for an orle of wolf's pawprints azure(?)
> *Not certain*
>
>  Addition/removal of a peripheral/secondary charge group is a CD.

and pawprints are (SCA-compatible) charges.

> John Paul Blacklore
> Gyronny of ten sable and Or, a lion rampant to sinister regardant within an
> orle argent.
> 1 CD for the lion. 1 CD for the orle argent(?)
> *Not sure*
>
> Clear by the same reason as Wolfram above.

Yup.

Danielis de Lindecolina
Tim McDaniel, tmcd at panix.com