[ANSTHRLD] Viking/Finnish name researching

Alden Drake alden_drake at sbcglobal.net
Mon Dec 10 10:37:57 PST 2007

I'm helping Centurian Othar Morganson with some name research and could
use a little help. Not being able to find Othar or Morgan to any
cohesive construction, I'm looking at an alternative for him: Oddr Mogansson

Oddr – Viking Names Found in the Landnamabok:
http://www.ellipsis.cx/~liana/names/norse/landnamabok.html
<http://www.ellipsis.cx/%7Eliana/names/norse/landnamabok.html>

Mogens - Finnish Names:
http://sca.org/heraldry/laurel/names/FinnishNamesArticle.htm
This article lists the header Mogens, but references Mogans j Backby
1564. Many of the referenced names here, show the patronymic name
construction -son, for example, under the heading Mosen, lists Mosen
Erichsson 1571. Mogensson, or Mogansson, should be suitable.

My question is: Is there a weirdness between Viking (Norse) names and
Finnish names? There's obviously a temporal weirdness between these two
names. I just want to avoid a second weirdness.

Thanks,
Alden