[ANSTHRLD] pictorial armorial

Britt tierna.britt at gmail.com
Mon Oct 15 06:26:27 PDT 2007

>   I'd love to see the project done, but having completed something similar at the local level, my sympathies to whatever group of heralds tackle such an immense project.  It's definitely too large for one person to do.

Not if that one person's a bit nutso and very, very dedicated.  The An
Tir online roll of arms - http://badger.cx/heraldry/roll/ - was
created and has been put together by Lord Frederick Badger.  He
accepts artwork from others, but most of the work is his.

Might I respectfully suggest another caveat on the work?  Older
blazons will be represented, and the scope of such a work often
requires extensive use of clip-art or non-herald artists, which makes
the suitability of any given piece of armory or elements thereof for
current registration iffy at best.  Lord Frederick has, I believe, a
notice that if you see it on the An Tir Roll, that's no guarantee that
the design, style or specific rendition is currently registerable.
This has been a great help to him (allowing freedom in artistic
expression and not requiring everything he posts to be style checked)
and submissions heralds (who can politely say that yes, there's a
gyronny vert and gules on the Roll, but it's still not registerable).
The notice has solved or precluded many headaches and we love Lord
Frederick dearly for it.

- Teceangl