[ANSTHRLD] pictorial armorial

Wendel Bordelon rwbordelon at gmail.com
Mon Oct 15 06:41:39 PDT 2007

Greetings,

On 10/14/07, Jennifer Smith <jds at randomgang.com> wrote:

> (The trick with pulling files and scanning old artwork, is that before a
> certain point, the artwork was considered copyrighted, and it's a grey area
> whether or not we have fair use rights to stick it up on the web. ...

This is one of those great myths that just will not die....

Firstly, the artwork is always copyright to the creator.  The SCA may
use the artwork submitted on the forms for SCA heraldic purposes
regardless of when the form was submitted because it is part of the
intended use of the submission.  The first Francois Laurel confirmed
this with the Board and the legal committee.   The bug-a-boo is not
the artwork but all the personal information on the forms is not to be
published.

--Francois