[ANSTHRLD] Is the SCA going to recognize Kosovo?

Tim McDaniel tmcd at panix.com
Wed Feb 20 08:46:57 PST 2008

On reflection, I think that I made a comment look much more serious
than I meant.

Throwing a cat at someone's face is actually a pretty serious act of
hostility.  (Unless it's Mari's Bess, who is such a mellow cat;
I expect her reaction would be "oh, you're paying attention to me!
just in an unusual way.  purrrrrr.  Let me drape myself carefully
across your head and pose artistically."  Her title is The Queen's
Most Gracious Majesty.)

I did not mean to imply that Magnus is at all hostile to me, except
when I periodically stuff my brogans down my throat and write
something that can be interpreted as hostile, as here.
My apologies, Magnus.

If I could rewrite it, I would say that it was Magnus being
mischievous again and putting a whoopie cushion in Laurel's chair.
It's another case where I have to say, "Aw, drat, Magnus, you're right
-- now what do we do about it?"  I stay mentally limber that way.

On Tue, 19 Feb 2008, Paul E. Kiefer, Jr. <rapierman at yahoo.com> wrote:
> Well, then, that begs the question:  What is required?

Well, "beg the question" means "to assume the truth of the very point
raised in a question".  I would say that it "leaves open the
question", the question I'd like to avoid.

> Does the recognition of a country by another country create a
> sufficient requirement to consider such protection?  Is there more?

Exactly the problem.  In most cases, it's unambiguous: even Indonesia
says that East Timor is a country, for example, but nobody except
other wankers recognize the Principality of Hutt River
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Principality_of_Hutt_River>.  But Kosovo
is recognized by some countries (US) and so very not by others
(USSR^H^H^H^H Russia).

That's why I'd suggest finessing the question by saying that the flag
of Kosovo is important regardless of whether you view it as a nation
or not.

Danet de Linccolne
Tim McDaniel, tmcd at panix.com