[ANSTHRLD] [Fwd: Heraldry announcement for Commentary

Tim McDaniel tmcd at panix.com
Thu Jul 10 13:16:39 PDT 2008

Leaving aside the merits of the original proposals ...

On Thu, 10 Jul 2008, kevinkeary at aol.com <heralds at lists.ansteorra.org>
wrote:
> So, what say we start a petition drive to
> 1) grandfather existing arms

That is beyond all question.  For decades, Corpora has grandfathered
existing arms.  See <http://sca.org/docs/govdocs.pdf>.  Corpora, page
16, Corpora VI.C.3.b:

     Any item once registered shall remain registered unless the owner
     requests its release, and shall be accepted in the Society for the
     person for whom it was registered without regard to changes in the
     rules and standards applied to future submissions, or to the
     membership status of the owner.

> 2) continue to allow crowns/coronets in the arms of nobility/royalty

That has not been questioned at this time, or indeed for years.
(The last change was to allow coronets for landless baron/esses.
Previously, it had been reserved to principalities, kingdoms, and the
ranks of duke/duchess, earl/countess, viscount/ess. I think that was
in the late 1990s.)

> 4) continue both the reservation and requirement of the laurel
> wreath in territorial arms.

Please give your reasons.

Denyel de Lyncoln
Tim McDaniel, tmcd at panix.com