[ANSTHRLD] List heralding question

Jay Rudin rudin at ev1.net
Wed May 7 13:53:50 PDT 2008

Ivo asked:

> I have heard ( and heralded) "Salute the crown In the presence of
> their excellencies", or just "salute the crown" when their was a crown
> presence. Are their other types of royal salutes, or other ways to
> phrase them that I should accounts for in my List heraldry class.Are
> their time when you are NOT saluting the crown, but perhaps just the
> landed noble?

The important thing to remember is that whatever you say should focus the
fighters on their honor and chivalry and reasons for being there.

Thus, at a baronial championship, saluting the baron and/or baroness can
replace the crown, but in the final round, if the Crown are present, I
would separately salute the Crown and the the baron/ess.  Most especially I
would do so at Steppes Warlord, which has a tradition and history far older
than the kingdom, or even the principality, of Ansteorra.

In a rapier list, the first salute is to the Queen, rather than the Crown.
One of the oldest and deepest actual re-creations in Ansteorra is the
recreation of the Elizabethan "Cult of Gloriana" by the Ansteorran fencers.

Robin of Gilwell / Jay Rudin