[ANSTHRLD] Device DB?

Coblaith Muimnech Coblaith at sbcglobal.net
Thu Aug 6 13:37:04 PDT 2009

Lord Lorenzo Martin wrote:
> . . .I was wondering what would be the best way to gather the
> devices of certain people.  Is there a database or a way to search
> on the heralds section of the Ansteorran website?  Preferably I
> would want to see a pic of it, whether black/white or color but if
> it were black/white then I'd want to know the blazoning of it.

Ansteorra doesn't yet have an online armorial.  (Star does have a
Roll of Arms Deputy who's working on one, but it's still in the
programming phase.)

The online Ordinary and Armorial <http://oanda.sca.org/> will give
you the blazon for any piece of registered armory.  Use the Name
Search Form to look up items belonging to someone whose registered
name you know, and the Name Pattern Search Form to find someone whose
you don't.  (For example, if you put "Emma de Fetherstan" into the
Name Search Form, you'll see the three items currently registered to
the present Star Principal Herald, along with the one she's
released.  If you didn't know how to spell "de Fetherstan", however,
you might put "Emma" into the Name Pattern Search Form, then look for
hers among the 129 names that search returns.)

Finding emblazons is a little more hit-or-miss.  The O&A will tell
you when any given item was registered and through which kingdom it
was submitted.  If it was submitted through Ansteorra and registered
in 1993 or after, you should be able to find in the Heraldic
Submissions Tracker <http://heraldry.ansteorra.org/hst/> information
on which Ansteorran Internal Letter of Intent included it.  If that
ILoI is in the online archive <http://herald.ansteorra.org/ILoI/> (or
if the Ansteorran Gazette in which it was published--usually the one
from the same month--is in the archive for those <http://
herald.ansteorra.org/gazette/>), you can see the submitted emblazons
there.  (The H.S.T. listing for Emma de Fetherstan says her current
device was in the 6/02 ILoI, for example, and the emblazon for that
device is, indeed, available at <http://herald.ansteorra.org/ILoI/
iloi200206.pdf>.)

If the item was submitted through one of the kingdoms that has an
online roll of arms <http://www.modaruniversity.org/
Heraldry2.htm#Rolls>, you could check there.  Verify the emblazon
matches the registered blazon, though.  People do make mistakes, and
the online rolls of arms generally use freshly-generated emblazons
rather than emblazons extracted from submissions forms, due to
copyright issues with the latter.

Sometimes you can find emblazons elsewhere online by simply searching
for a gentle's name with your favorite engine.  (Put "Coblaith
Muimnech" into Google, for instance, and the first return will be my
homesite, where my arms appear.)  Again, you'll need to check the
emblazon against the registered blazon to ensure it's correct.

If all that fails and you really can't figure out how to emblazon a
particular device yourself, you can ask Ragged Staff Herald,
currently Baroness Shauna of Carrick Point, to give you a peek at the
registered emblazon.  Contact me off-list, and I'll give you her e-
mail address.

Coblaith Muimnech
<mailto:Coblaith at sbcglobal.net>
<http://coblaith.net>