[ANSTHRLD] Heraldic Heirs

Tim McDaniel tmcd at panix.com
Wed Feb 4 15:10:50 PST 2009

On Wed, 4 Feb 2009, Darin Herndon <darin.herndon at chk.com> wrote:
> Curiosity question.
>
> Branches are required to have a laurel wreath on their arms.  Do any
> have laurel wreaths on badges?  Or can they not have the wreath on a
> badge?

CoA Admin Handbook, II.E,
<http://heraldry.sca.org/heraldry/laurel/admin.html#II.E>

     1. Branch Arms - The single piece of tinctured armory associated
     with the Branch Name of a Society branch which uniquely identifies
     that branch. By Society convention, all branch arms must include
     one or more laurel wreaths as an important element in the design;
     only branch arms may have laurel wreaths as an element. ...

> Group armory cannot be transferred or released without the Crown's
> approval and sign off.

Cite?  I know of no such rule.  AH III.A.1 says "In the case of
defunct Society branches, release may be granted by joint consent of
the Crown and Kingdom Seneschal after appropriate notice in the
newsletter of the kingdom in which the branch was located.", but that
refers to branches that are already defunct.  I know of no reason why
a group cannot transfer, release, or permit conflict with its own
items without the king and queen's approval, and I believe it's
happened quite a number of times.  And branches can certainly register
items at will: it would be odd if they could register them but not
release them.

Dannet de Lincoln
Tim McDaniel, tmcd at panix.com