[ANSTHRLD] Heraldic Heirs

Tim McDaniel tmcd at panix.com
Wed Feb 4 16:07:47 PST 2009

On Wed, 4 Feb 2009, Darin Herndon <darin.herndon at chk.com> wrote:
> In that case, if Daniel's dim memory is accurate ... the names would
> need to be transferred to children of the deceased so the pattern
> could be passed on to grandchildren of the deceased.

Or the names could be transferred directly to the grandchildren, as
they could be transferred to anyone at all, and the grandchildren can
use self-grandfathering to register a similar name.

     "Your Honor, I want to change my name."
     "Hmmm ... what's your current name?"
     "Harvey Lipschitz."
     "Yes, I see why you'd change it.  What do you want to change it to?"
     "Jackson Lipschitz."

> Unless...  If the parents took the grandfathered name format from
> the grandparents and registered names in the now disallowed format,
> could not the grandchildren take the format from their own parents?

I don't know of any reason why not.  Seeing merely that the second
generation registered Foo Bar, you can't tell that there's a
grandfathered element unless you remember the name and its
circumstances instantly (hush, Alisoun MacCoul!) or look it up, and
why look it up?  And even if you knew it, I don't know of any
restriction on transitivity -- could not one of the Bellatrix boys not
name a child "of Bellatrix"?

Daniel de Lindonio
Tim McDaniel, tmcd at panix.com