[ANSTHRLD] achievements for barons (was: A question on behalf of a client)

Coblaith Muimnech Coblaith at sbcglobal.net
Fri Jul 17 12:22:37 PDT 2009

Kevin wrote:
> As far as the rules for what one may register in an achievement go,
> does a court barony qualify one as a Grant or as a Noble?

A noble.

> The minimal example given in the examples for a noble is a county. . .

Given in the examples where?  Page 6 of the Achievement Guidelines
<http://herald.ansteorra.org/publications.php> offers an example that
says, in part, "A few years after the White Scarf, Don Iago was made
a Court Baron. With this noble title, His Excellency received not
only a coronet and a beautiful charter in court, but is now entitled
to a new achievement scroll with arms, baronial coronet, helm,
livery, crest, and supporters."

> . . .On the list of 'awards and honors in Ansteorra', court
> baronies are listed with the grants and landed baronies with the
> nobles.

Again, what list?  That's not the way it is on the "Honors of
Ansteorra" page on the College of Heralds' site <http://
herald.ansteorra.org/honors/>.  "Barony in Fief" and "Court Barony"
are both under "Nobility".

> . . .can a court baron register an achievement with a simple
> baronial coronet on the helm?

Yes.  (That's explicit in the quote from the Achievement Guidelines I
gave above.)

> Can a LANDED baron do so, and then retain it after stepping down?

An example on page 7 of the Achievement Guidelines says, "Two years
later, he was invested as the Baron of Namron, and is entitled to the
special charter of a Baron in Fief; however, he is not yet entitled
to a new achievement scroll."  Since one is entitled to a new
achievement scroll each time one becomes entitled to and registers a
new achievement, that a barony in fief doesn't carry achievements
with it is implicit in this statement.

Coblaith Muimnech
<mailto:Coblaith at sbcglobal.net>
<http://coblaith.net>